11. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
12. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn’t like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
13. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
14. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. above all D. rather than
15. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up